Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Centro Sucks

I have now changed my mind about my new phone. At first I thought it was fancy, but that's only because I've never had a smartphone before. The Palm Centro and anything that runs Palm OS is a complete piece of shit. Don't ever buy anything with Palm OS. The OS is very unstable and outdated. The phone randomly restarts and locks up. It has even done it during phone calls which is completely unacceptable.
And what really sucks is that Palm no longer provides java for Palm OS. I had to install a pirated copy. It didn't do much good because Java on the Palm is very unstable as well. it also has no bluetooth support, making bluetooth hax impossible with j2me apps.
I have been wating axiously for Palm to finish up their Linux OS. The fact that it is not done already is COMPLETELY unacceptable! Linux is not that hard. And a stripped down phone version of Linux is even less hard. It should be done and it's not. I have completely lost faith in Palm. They have completely fucked themselves by not getting their act together. Android is here now. It's open source and anyone can use it, modify it, and put it on their own devices.
Palm devices are a thing of the past. They belong in museums, or better yet... a dumpster.

1 comment:

r said...

I don't like the way t-mobile tries to lock down what people can do on android, just so their network doesn't get 'bogged down' with the traffic something like an android could bring to the table. Like a pirate bay torrent manager :p

And other phones on other carriers with similar restrictions, unless you buy dev kits.

It's worth it not to buy phone companies' versions of phones, just to unlock all of the features (& not have it a) tied to one provider and b) not be stuck in a multi-year contract).

e.g. there's no redsn0w/yellowsn0w for AT&T contract cancellation :p

In my opinion, the best way to make custom apps for smartphones is by getting a web server set up, and just making whatever it is a web app. Naturally, that doesn't really use specific phones' features, however; as you mentioned: bluetooth hax.