Friday, April 27, 2007

Ubuntu 7.04 is here!

Yeah, the new Ubuntu is out. I just ordered some Kubuntu CDs from shipit (I don't like gnome). I'm using 6.06 and from what I've heard, upgrading from 6.06 to 7.04 is stupid. So I'm just going to do a clean install. people using 6.10 can just use the upgrade tool. 7.04 has many new features and many things have been improved. One thing I really like about this new release is the OEM installation. It's not really new. I guess it had it before and I didn't know about it. Anyways.. it's been updated quite a bit. This will make it easier for computer dealers to preinstall Ubuntu for their customers. Maybe more people will switch to linux.
Other nice features are:
The new network manager
New help system
KDE has been updated to 3.5.6 (gnome is probably updated too. I don't care though.)
Improved power management
Other stuff - GCC 4.1.2 Glibc 2.5 Python 2.5 Linux 2.6.20

Those are only a few of the good things about 7.04
I'll have an update when I get my CDs in the mail.

My only complaint about ubuntu at this point in time is that they no longer support PPC. This really pisses me off. I have a G3 that I'm using as a file server. It's running Ubuntu Server Edition 6.10. I now have to look for another distro to run on it. Though I probably wont install anything else for some time. My server works just fine and I'm going to leave it alone for now.

No comments: